- Almost 600 military commands at every level are actively supported by the VFW and its Ladies Auxiliary through the VFW Adopt-a-Unit program.
- The VFW Adopt-a-Unit’s goal is to develop supportive relationships with units before, during and after deployments to help deliver the vast network of free resources the VFW has available for the military and their families; i.e., Operation Uplink, Unmet Needs and the Military Assistance Program.
- Adopt-a-Unit relationships are created and maintained by individual VFW Posts who work closely with unit commanders and senior enlisted to provide the direct support the unit and their families need.
- Examples of typical Adopt-a-Unit events and activities sponsored by VFW Posts:
- Welcome Home & Deployment events
- Family Days
- Holiday events
- Meetings and Support Seminars for service members and families
- Direct assistance to military families range from simple lawn care, snow removal and auto repairs to major household renovations to help accommodate a wounded service member.
- If your unit is interested in being adopted, please contact your local VFW Post(s).
- Check if someone in the unit is already a member of the local VFW Post.
- Locate a VFW Post from the VFW’s website “Find a Post” at http://www.vfw.org/oms/findpost.aspx.
- Or contact the VFW Military Assistance Program at the VFW National Headquarters to locate a VFW Post to work with at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (816) 756-3390, ext 211
Watch for next month’s Supporting Our Troops email for more VFW troop and veteran support program information!